Thursday 17 December 2020

Day Five - Sense Of Humour





 On the fifth day of gratitude - I am grateful for a sense of humour.


I used to have a good sense of humour. I laughed a lot. But my vestibular disorder changed all that.


I stopped laughing altogether when I first became ill. It's hard to laugh when you feel sick all the time. Sometimes it's hard to even smile.  For me, the year 2019 could be renamed 'The year I stopped laughing'. But what I didn't realize, was that I was also stopping my family from laughing too. I was miserable and I was making everyone around me miserable too. "If mama ain't happy, then..."

One night my husband and son were sharing a joke during dinner. It was actually pretty funny and I could tell they both wanted to laugh, but were scared of how I'd respond. I was feeling really ill, so I was having none of it. I shot them both a glance to let them know there would be no laughter at the dinner table today, when my son looked at me and quite rightly said... "Mom, I know you're not happy, but does that mean that we can never laugh again...?"

That hit me. Hard. I looked at them both trying to stop themselves from laughing, and then I started to laugh too. I mean really laugh. Just couldn't stop myself.  After all it was funny.

That's how I got my sense of humour back. I laughed at something funny.

Now, how funny I will find something, very much depends on how bad my symptoms are that day. Nothing is funny, when you're spinning or nauseous. But I do like to laugh - because life can be funny. And people can be funny. And situations can be funny. And jokes can be funny. And my vestibular disorder doesn't change that.

But mostly I like to laugh, because sometimes laughter is the best medicine.




So I am grateful to have my sense of humour - back!













 










Do you have any vestibular funnies you wish to share? Please share in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment