Friday 18 December 2020

Day Six - Community

On the sixth day of gratitude, I am grateful for this online community.





Hey you - yes, you. I'm talking to you. The person who's reading this. Hi there.

I don't always get a chance to say it, but thanks for being here. This community means a lot to me.




Before I became a part of an online support group, I was alone.

My husband of 32 years tried hard to understand my disorder, but he didn't get it. My family tried really hard too, but how can you possibly understand something like this unless you've experienced it? I don't believe that you can.

But you can - because you know.

I struggled alone with my vestibular disorder for a long time until I found this community. And the connection was such turning point for me.

Suddenly I felt supported, encouraged, heard and understood. Suddenly I was not alone.

Day or night, I could reach out through my phone, and you were there. Across borders, continents and timezones, you were there. You answered my seemingly endless questions and were happy to share your knowledge, insight and expertise with suggestions, such as - "you might want to try this", or "you might want to avoid that". More than anything though, you made me feel normal again.

I'm not sure I could've made it to where I am without you, because this is hard.

Yes, there are times I still feel alone - but with this community,  I know we're alone together.

And I'm abundantly grateful.












No comments:

Post a Comment