Wednesday 16 December 2020

Day Four - Good Neighbours

 On the fourth day of gratitude, I am grateful for my neighbours.




My mom gave me a bit of advice when I first moved into my home in Richmond Hill, 14 years ago...

"Make every effort to stay on good terms with your neighbours, they're the ones closest to you when things go wrong..."


That's is so true.

My parents may only be a phone call away, but physically they are on another continent. And to get to them it takes 7 hours by plane, plus another 2 hours by car.

My best friend Anna Marie, moved to British Columbia on Dec 1st of this year.

And my closest friends are about 20 minutes away.

But my neighbours, well...



Rob and Miranda




Although they haven't lived on the street for too long,  I feel as though I've known them both forever. Miranda is so much fun. Bright, energetic with an enthusiasm for life, she's very generous and giving. We talk about everything and have long conversations over the fence. Rob is a big guy with an even bigger heart. He would give you the shirt off his back and will help you with anything. He's shovelled my driveway many times and it's altogether quite possible that he's mowed my lawn more times than I have.  I feel safe having Rob next door. He's totally fearless and definately the neighbour you run to in an apocalypse.

 And their BBQ chicken is the best chicken anywhere. Served hot from their backdoor to my front door!




 Their girls Abbi and Cassie have brought some much needed fun to our neighbourhood. They are adventurous and creative and have kept us all entertained, amused (and well fed) during the pandemic. 


Alan and Debbie






When a windstorm tore a hole into our roof two years ago, all the roofing contractors were fully booked for the entire week. I just happened to mention to Alan the extent of the damage and within about 5 minutes he showed up on my doorstep with his son Justin , some long ladders and his tools. It took the two of them a couple of hours to fix my roof and they probably saved me a couple of thousand dollars. Plus a whole lot of stress. The roof is still intact to this day.




Also, without a second thought, Alan got into his famous inflatable T-Rex suit and helped me raise awareness about vestibular disorders during VeDA's  Balance Awareness Week. Who does that? My neighbour does that!


Ken and Terri




Ken and Terri are THE hosts of THE best parties not just on our street, but in the whole neighbourhood. They are warm, generous and incredibly funny. They are also a whole lot of fun to be around. Their annual pool party is the highlight of the summer which features Ken's incredible band rocking well into the night. And on New Year's Eve - who needs Times Square? The best party is just few doors down on my own street. Good times!





Ken and Terri also just happen to be the owners of a giant pink flamingo inflatable, which they were kind enough to let me use for Balance Awareness Week on one of the hottest days of the summer. You know you've got cool neighbours if they own a giant pink flamingo!


Mark and Carolyn 




Mark is the probably the best handyman I've ever met. He'll generous with his help and advice and can pretty much build and repair anything. His attention to detail is reflected throughout their beautiful home - which, by the way, looks like it could be on a page in Better Homes and Gardens.



 And Carolyn...well she's more than just a neighbour, over the years, she's also become a very good friend. She's not only talked me down a few times when my boys are driving me crazy but she's also cheered me up.  She'll drop what she's doing and be over in a heartbeat to lend a hand. But what I love the most about her, is her positivity. She has a great outlook. Seeing life the way she does has helped me feel a lot more positive in terms of my own life this year. I just love her. 


....they are the ones closest to you, when things go wrong..."


These are my neighbours. The closest people to me in an emergency - vestibular or otherwise. These are the people who can get there before 911 does. 


I consider myself very fortunate to have these people around me. I don't only have good neighbours, I have great neighbours.


 And I am grateful.







1 comment:

  1. Amazingly written! But as one of these neighbours I will say that the same can be said for you as well Elaine! I have enjoyed our talks over the fence, and advice back and forth. I am amazed at the patience you have with my girls and the time you spend with them they cherish. I am very proud to call you my neighbour and friend!

    ReplyDelete