Friday 29 May 2020

When vertigo feels like 'The Game Of Life"

At my house, Friday night is traditionally a board game night. This started many years ago when my boys were younger. Nowadays, with girlfriends and jobs they usually have other plans on a Friday, but my husband Roger and I, may still get out a deck of cards or have a game of Scrabble together.

 It was while we were playing Scrabble the other night and he was beating me (again), that I thought to myself  'this is just like my vestibular disorder....I can't do anything with these letters...'

That got me thinking and I wondered just how many of the board games in our basement had some similarities with my vestibular disorder. Here are the 10 board games I came up with:-



Scrabble: When every single tile you draw is a vowel, you're kinda stuck and have to miss a turn. With a vestibular disorder you are forced to miss out on a lot of life and important events until your symptoms are more manageable and you can once again join in.



Twister: This one is pretty self explanatory. The symptoms of your disorder physically leave you all over the place. Quite literally.



Monopoly:  When you land on "Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect $200.00". It can often feel like the world is going on without you while you are stuck in your own personal jail with your symptoms. And somehow you never seem to get the elusive 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card!



Operation: So much skill is required to remove the body parts without triggering the buzzer.  In the same way when you're experiencing a flare of symptoms especially with vestibular migraines, you have to move slowly and carefully to avoid exacerbating your symptoms even further.




Pictionary: When you have to draw a clue and leave the other team to figure out the solution. This reminds me of going to the GP, ENT or Neurologist and explaining your symptoms to them, while they stare blankly as if they don't have any idea as to what you're talking about.




Kerplunk: Another game where skill is required to remove the sticks without disturbing the marbles. Once again, this reminds me of moving slowly and cautiously through the day, so as not to trigger a flare of symptoms.




Clue: When all the players have to try and solve a murder mystery, When you're passed out on the bathroom floor and wondering what caused your vertigo attack this time. Was it the weather? Was it something you ate? Was it bright lights? A loud noise? Was it....?




Sorry: When you're waiting to get a "1" or a "2" in order to begin the game while everyone else is moving around the board. This reminds me of being stuck at home with my symptoms waiting for them to pass, while everyone else is moving on with life.




Snakes and Ladders: This game is so similar to going through successful VRT and then experiencing  vestibular  decompensation. You can be doing so well in your recovery, when suddenly you land on a huge snake, and it almost takes you back to the very beginning. So frustrating. 




Game Of Life: This game is all about the spinner. You use the spinner to advance through life and win the game. Seriously y'all...I'm  dizzy and spinning my way through life. Not sure I'd call it winning though.

Bonus Game.



Apples to Apples: A hilarious game of comparison. This reminds me of  when you first experience vertigo and you're trying to find answers by comparing your symptoms to those of other people in order to find out what is "normal". Although our symptoms are NOT in the least bit funny, some of them are most certainly bizarre.


This post is not to be taken too seriously, I was just struck by how much my disorder spills into every aspect of my life. Even when I'm only experiencing the mildest of symptoms and trying to have fun on game night.


Do you have any different board games that you think have some similarities to a vestibular disorder? Please share your ideas and leave a comment. I'd love to know. 


Gotta go. It's Friday night. And you know what i'll be doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment