Saturday 29 August 2020

Time For Change







I noticed it while on my walk this morning. The first signs of change. The air is a little cooler. The sun rises a little later. And the leaves...




Normally, when I see the leaves beginning to turn, I get a feeling of anticipation. Actually it's more like excitement. Fall is my absolute favourite season of the year. And there is nothing quite like fall in Ontario. But the feeling I had today was closer to apprehension than anticipation.

It's not that I've suddenly changed my mind about the seasons, it just that the arrival of fall also heralds the arrival of cold and flu season. And I am not looking forward to that.

Having a cold plus a vestibular disorder can be a whole other level of suffering. It's like having regular cold symptoms, and then some. Like the cold symptoms have been supersized. Or like the cold symptoms are on steroids. Simply stated, a cold can feel so much worse for someone who has vestibular issues.

Many of us already experience cold-like symptoms with our disorder. We can feel as though our ears are plugged or full. There is sometimes nasal or sinus stuffiness. Increased head pressure which gives the feeling of heavyheadedness or sometimes lightheadedness. Head and neck pain. Headache. Nausea and upset stomach. And, of course, dizziness. While some of us take  medications to help alleviate these symptoms, quite often these medications can suppress or weaken our immune system, making us more susceptible to infections and illness. 

While the average person can take a NeoCitran, feel awful for a couple of days and then recover - a common cold can exacerbate our vestibular symptoms, cause a flare up and lead to a double dose of distress. Miserable symptoms on top of already miserable symptoms. A cold or flu can hit us twice as hard, last twice as long and take longer to recover from. Is it any wonder that some of us dread the change of seasons?

I read an article recently about boosting your immune system and how that can be a good way to protect yourself from the flu. So I've decided to make a few changes for myself this year.

How I'm Boosting My Immune System this Fall.

1. Antioxidants: I personally do not like blueberries, but research has shown that blueberries have the highest concentration of antioxidants in all common fruits and vegetables. Since it's the texture of the fruit that I dislike, rather than the flavour, I'm willing to try them in a beverage. If I find that I like this smoothie, then perhaps I'll try making my own with fresh blueberries. Here is a list of some other antioxidants




2. Vitamin C: I drink a glass of fresh orange juice every day and love all citrus fruit,  but just recently I read, that red bell peppers contain more Vitamin C, than the average orange. So I will buy some and slice them up for a quick snack. 




3. Zinc: Zinc is known for its ability to fight infections and heal wounds and has become a popular treatment for colds. Some studies have found that taking zinc lozenges can reduce the duration of a cold up to 1 or 2 days. You can find more information about zinc here.




4. Oil of Oregano: When I worked full time in a Kindergarten classroom, I used to take this at the first sign of a cold. Since I no longer work in school, I haven't felt quite the same need to take it. However, I picked some up today and will begin taking it as a preventative measure. Some people find the taste of the tincture unpleasant, but I don't mind it. Oil of Oregano is also available in capsule form.





5. Echinacea:  A similar supplement to Oil of Oregano and comes in many forms. Although I bought some today, I may not try it this time around, as the zinc lozenges I purchased also contain echinacea. 




6: Stay Hydrated: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I cannot list all the benefits of hydration here, as it would take far too long. But you don't have to search the internet too hard to find a host of articles which will attest to the benefits of drinking water.  I don't naturally gravitate toward water, but I love sparkling water. And if you serve it with a slice of lemon, you'll be adding extra Vitamin C, too. Also, water with fresh ginger is a new favourite of mine.This is especially good when I'm feeling nauseous. 




7. Sleep: I've recently developed some poor sleep habits. As a writer, inspiration and creative ideas often come to me in the middle of the night. And since I do most of my writing on my phone, I can also get distracted by social media and end up scrolling into the wee hours of the night. So instead I'm now going to keep a notepad by the bed for when creativity strikes and leave the phone off until morning. This should mean more rest, less fatigue and an altogether better sleep routine.





8. Stress: Apart from a personal family issue, my biggest stressor is worrying about getting sicker. Both with the flu and the Coronavirus.  I'm realizing however, that by wearing masks, washing hands, using hand sanitizer and wearing gloves to slow the spread of Covid 19, we are also inadvertently reducing the spread of the flu virus too. Since both the common cold and the flu virus are transmitted by respiratory  droplets from coughing and sneezing, wearing a mask can also potentially reduce that risk too. Most people are doing their very best with this, so I'm trying to worry less about it, which will greatly reduce overall stress.




9. Exercise: This is perhaps the one area where I do not need to make any changes. I'm at the gym 3 days a week and will either walk or do a run/walk every other day. Plus, Zumba classes restart in the fall, which I will try to attend once a week, if dizziness allows. For Zumba, I stay at the back of the class and modify the quick turns and fast routines by just marching on the spot.





Ultimately, what this all comes down to is protection. If it's raining, we carry an umbrella and take a rain jacket. If it's sunny, we wear sunscreen. And if we're headed into the woods, we apply insect repellent. 

So these are the small changes I'm planning to make in the hope that they may prevent me getting from getting sick this fall season. However, this is 2020, the year to expect the unexpected. I cannot make any bold promises, claims or guarantees that boosting my immune system will prevent me from catching a cold or the flu - but it certainly won't hurt to try! Perhaps I will do an update post at the end of the year, to let you know if this was successful or not.

Until then, I'm going to enjoy the last of the summer, and look forward to fall. Pumpkin patches, apple picking, corn mazes, hay bales and wagon rides, here I come!


 

Do you take any preventative measures to avoid getting a cold or the flu? Please share any tips you have.




(*Please consult a doctor or pharmacist about nutritional supplements for yourself*)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment