Wednesday 18 March 2020

Today I’m Thankful For...







This morning I received an email which made me feel really thankful. I went online to find some clip art as a visual to write this post, and found that the images were predominantly Thanksgiving related with pictures of turkeys or Fall leaves and seasonal flowers. I thought it seemed a little sad that we have reduced thankfulness to one weekend of the year. But what about today? I’m feeling thankful today, for something relatively small, that has become pretty big to me - and that is the Vestibular online support community. Where would I be without you?






As I lay in bed this morning reading my emails, I wondered what it would’ve  been like to have my Vestibular Disorder 50 years ago? Even just 20 years ago? Not in terms of diagnosis or treatment, but in terms of support. I can’t even imagine. Because  most of my ‘healing’, at least in the non medical sense, has come as a result of the knowledge I’ve gained through my support groups. When doctors have been dismissive and disinterested, within these groups, I’ve felt heard, understood and validated. And I’ve felt normal.


With just a swipe of my finger I’ve become connected to a network of fellow sufferers who’ve been willing to answer my seemingly endless questions and offer sympathy, encouragement and advice when there was no where else to turn.




And so now I feel like I want to give back. I want to help someone navigate the murky waters of life with a vestibular disorder. I’ve been accepted as a volunteer for VeDA, with the hopes of one day becoming an ambassador. I feel as though I can now do something to help someone other than myself and for that I’m thankful.



So, I would like to start a thankfulness thread within our community. If you’ve been directed here via Facebook, please write something that you are thankful for today in the comments and hopefully lift the spirits of someone who is having a tough day. We can be thankful ...even if it’s not Thanksgiving.


2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful I can drive and do my chores. Even though I feel swayee (made up word) I push thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is the little things, isn't it.

      Delete