Thursday 26 March 2020

Something Old, Something New.




Long before the Covid - 19 outbreak made 'social distancing 'and 'shelter in place' part of our daily lives and language, people like me with a vestibular disorder or some other chronic illness were living with similar types of restrictions. I was forced to leave my job, stay at home and have my mobility seriously restricted - not by the government, but by some of the physical limitations of my condition. And just like people all over the world, who are now having to find ways to keep themselves occupied and entertained during their quarantine, I've had to find ways to adjust and adapt to my everyday life with vestibular neuritis. I've had to revisit some  of my old hobbies and try out some new ones.


I've always enjoyed reading poetry, but now I'm enjoying writing it as a form of therapy and as a way to keep my brain active.
Better Days

I used to be a marathon runner, but running is no longer an option. When I tried to run in the past,  it felt as though the road was moving beneath me, and I was running on a trampoline. So my old 5 km running route has become my new 5 km walking route. I see so much more of nature now that I've slowed down a little bit to match the speed of life.






Baking has become my new favourite thing to do. I only used to bake for special occasions such as birthdays or Christmas, but now I bake just because I can. My family is enjoying this new pastime too, although our waistlines are beginning to suffer a little :)


Hershey's Hugs and Kisses Cookies
(With these cookies you can hug and kiss anytime - even while practicing social distancing!)


Apple Strudel Muffins.



Tiffin.

About the Tiffin...it's a special recipe. I've been making it for years, but it never, ever tastes the same twice, because I always change the recipe. The cookie base always contains 16 Digestive Biscuits, but other than that, I literally throw in a handful of this and a handful of that - whatever I happen to have in the cupboard. It's different every time. Always new. The Tiffin reminds me that  you can always bring something new to something old. You can indeed teach an old dog new tricks.

Long after the Corona Virus health crisis is over and life resumes again as it did before, I will still have this disorder and the limitations that it brings. Nothing will change much for me. I will still be unable to work full time, spend most of my day at home and have limited mobility.  I will still face the same old challenges as I did before,  but hopefully with a new and improved attitude and appreciation of what is truly important in life. Situations are always changing and we must change with them. I still don't like having this disorder, but I'm learning  new ways to live with it.




What are some of the some old hobbies you've begun again because of your vestibular disorder? What new things have you tried or are going to try? 


No comments:

Post a Comment