Tuesday 14 April 2020

Dear Self...

I've been feeling quite a bit better recently. In fact, I've actually been enjoying an extended period of wellness. I'm almost afraid to write about it, for fear that I might somehow jinx myself.

Have I've turned a corner in my recovery? Perhaps. Will I do something that will trigger a flare up? Possibly. Maybe this period of wellness won't last? Almost certainly.  All I know is I am here now. And I'm happy to be here - because a year ago I never would've dreamed that this could happen.

When I first joined a Vestibular Disorders Support Group on Facebook, and saw posts about people doing normal activities with a vestibular disorder, I remember thinking to myself....how? And now here I am - living with vestibular neuritis. Not merely living, but surviving and thriving.

If I could go back over the last 22 months, there is so much I would want to do differently. Things I wish I knew then, that I know now. Information I now have, that could somehow have spared me some of the pain I've had to endure in this most difficult journey. I know that there is a certain amount of struggle in every journey. And some struggle is painful but necessary. However, I'm sure there are shortcuts that we could take to make it a little easier on ourselves, or get to a place of healing sooner.

If I could go back and talk to myself, I think I would mostly like to reassure myself, that it may not get better, but it will almost certainly get easier.

If you could go back to the initial onset of your symptoms, the pre-diagnosis, early diagnosis or acute stage of your condition days, what is the one piece of advice, word of encouragement or message of hope you would want to give to yourself? Please share your thoughts on Facebook under the link that brought you here, because what you would've told yourself, could possibly be the missing piece in the puzzle that helps to fix someone else.






If you would like to learn more about vestibular disorders you can visit VeDA

No comments:

Post a Comment