Wednesday 17 June 2020

A Vestibular Anniversary.





I recently celebrated another birthday and got out my calculator to figure out exactly how many days I've been alive. I have been living for 19,725 days (including leap years).

Of those 19,725 days, I would say that there are probably around 500 that I would classify as memorable if I were prompted by a date, a photograph, or a memory.

And of those 500 days, there are maybe around 20 that are truly significant. Days that have been life changing or life altering. Days that I can recall the smallest of details without having to think too hard about it. Days that have somehow redefined my life. My marriage, the birth of my children, the death of some family members, or major world events. 

And then there is this day. June 25th, 2018. The day I got Vestibular Neuritis.


June 25th, 2018. My last 'normal' day.


My calendar tells me that there are certain days that should be observed differently. Red letter days that stand apart or are set aside for religious, cultural, geographical or historical reasons. Then there are other more personal days that I consider special. Birthdays, weddings, graduations, baptisms and anniversaries etc.  But then there is this day. My vestibular anniversary. It will be next week.

Unlike other anniversaries, it won't involve any kind of celebration. There won't be balloons and cupcakes. But neither will I flip through old photo albums and cry about all the good times I used to have before having a vestibular disorder. It's not a happy anniversary, but it isn't a sad one either. However, since this day has split my timeline in two :- B.V (before vertigo) and A.D (after diagnosis),  and since this day will directly affect  how I spend the rest of my days, I feel somehow that something should happen. Like it or not, this day is significant and holds more weight than most of the other days. It will come and go whether I choose to observe, recognize or even acknowledge it. 





Perhaps I'm overthinking it. Maybe I'm trying to attach too much meaning to an event that doesn't really need it.  Maybe this is an anniversary where I don't need to do anything.  Maybe it can just be a day of simple reflection. Of looking back and seeing how far I've come.



Do you observe your vestibular anniversary? If so, how?








No comments:

Post a Comment